The Plastics SSN, founded in 2006, is an Arts Council England recognised Subject Specialist Network.
It aims to share expertise in the history, development, care and interpretation of plastics within and beyond the museum community, in order to enhance understanding of and engage varied audiences with the key role played by plastics in modern society.
In particular members wish to:
- Facilitate and disseminate dialogue and debate on research methodologies in relation to plastics.
- Increase use of plastics collections with an emphasis on learning and teaching.
- Reach new audiences for plastics collections.
- Collaborate on out-come based projects.
- Learn from and involve the plastics and design industries in plastics' collections.
The Plastics SSN is managed by the Museum of Design in Plastics (MoDiP), Arts University Bournemouth, working to a Steering Group. Its members are:
- Ray Bush, Society of Plastics Engineers and Worshipful Company of Horners
- Dr Katherine Curran, UCL Institute for Sustainable Heritage
- Carla Flack, Sculpture and Installation Conservator, Tate
- Dr Brenda Keneghan, Polymer Scientist, formerly Victoria and Albert Museum
- Prof Susan Lambert, Chief Curator, Museum of Design in Plastics, Arts University Bournemouth (PSSN Convener)
- Dr Susan Mossman, Chair of Plastics Historical Society and Research Associate, Science Museum Group
- Dr Anita Quye, Head of History of Art, University of Glasgow
- Jacqui Ready, Conservator, formerly Hampshire County Council Museum and Archives Service, currently freelance
- Vicky Singleton, Conservation Manager, IWM Duxford
Membership is open to all who have an interest in plastics in collections, public and private; to those managing archives with material relevant to plastics; and to members of societies in the plastics subject areas.
The inaugural meeting was held on 13 December 2006 at the Design Museum, London. Activity is dependent on project funding. To date the Plastics SSN has made four resources:
- A curator's guide to plastics
- Identifying plastics toolkit
- Confronting plastics preservation
- A curator's guide to synthetic garments