Model pacemaker

Description

A model of the world's first fully implantable cardiac pacemaker, made and donated to the museum by AUB Modelmaking student Kate Evans. This pacemaker was invented by Doctors Rune Elmqvist and Ake Senning, and was fitted to a patient in Sweden in 1958. The experimental unit encased components such as pulse generating circuitry and batteries, within a biocompatible, synthetic epoxy resin called Araldite, which was originally cast in a Kiwi shoe polish tin. The plastics in the original pacemaker provided the vital hermetic seal to prevent the ingress of bodily fluids from short circuiting the unit and two polyethylene coated suture wires connected the unit to the patient's heart.
Designers & Manufacturers
Designer (Person)

Object number

AIBDC : 008433

Date

2020

Country

Method

3D printed inductor, resistor, transistor and battery
heart and pacemaker encasement
painted ribs on case
some components within the pacemaker
acrylic case
some components within the pacemaker

Material

plastic
PU
PUR
polyurethane heart - Fast Cast resin
polyepoxide
epoxy resin pacemaker encasement, epoxy putty (Milliput) also used.
unidentified 3d printed resistor, transistor and battery
acrylic display case and pacemaker brackets
PMMA
polymethyl methacrylate
metal
copper wire
steel wire and display case attachments
brass plate holding battery in place and screws attaching heart
wood plywood attachment
M.D.F. base
acrylic paint, heart and ribs
cellulose paint, heart
cellulose paint, heart

Colour