Submarine cable

Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. End view of a cable sample showing the inner cable. Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. End view of a cable sample showing the inner cable. End view of a cable sample showing the inner cable.
Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. End view of a cable sample showing the inner cable. Side view of a cable sample showing the stranded and plied outer armour. End view of a cable sample showing the inner cable. End view of a cable sample showing the inner cable.
Details
Object number
AIBDC : 006887
Country
Date
1850 - 1859 (circa)

Description

A 65mm length of armoured submarine cable with gutta percha insulation, bound with a brass band at each end indicating that it was most probably a presentation piece. The Gutta Percha Company, which was established in 1845, first started making these cables in 1848. The first successful submarine telegraph cable was laid between Dover and Calais in 1851. In 1864 The Gutta Percha Company merged with Glass Elliot & Co to form Telcon (The Telegraph Construction & Maintenance Company). Date unknown
Designers & Manufacturers
Designer (Person)
Dimensions
Length
65mm
Diameter
28mm
Method
Material Note
plastic (natural)
gutta percha insulation covering
unidentified core
metal retaining bands
brass
Colour