Pakesine medallion

Front view of a medallion showing the moulded imagery. Rear view of a medallion showing the plain back.
Front view of a medallion showing the moulded imagery. Rear view of a medallion showing the plain back.
Details
Object number
PHSL : PAR 95
Country
Date
1870

Description

An 1870s circular medallion, made of compression moulded Parkesine (cellulose nitrate), with two classical figures on one side. Parkesine is the trademark for the first man-made plastic, which was invented by Alexander Parkes in 1862. This item forms part of the Plastics Historical Society (PHS) collection.
Designers & Manufacturers
Designer (Person)
Manufacturer

Inscriptions

moulded: "RELIGIONE AC BONUS ARTIBUS" (front)
Dimensions
Diameter
50mm
Colour