Viewmaster

Side view of a view master showing the viewing lenses. Side view of a view master showing the viewing lenses. Side view of a view master showing the light defusing screens. Top view of a view master showing the slot for the discs. Side view of a view master showing the light defusing screens.
Side view of a view master showing the viewing lenses. Side view of a view master showing the viewing lenses. Side view of a view master showing the light defusing screens. Top view of a view master showing the slot for the discs. Side view of a view master showing the light defusing screens.
Details
Object number
AIBDC : 0_6372
Date
1950 (circa)

Description

A 1950s Viewmaster model E 3D transparency viewer, made of compression moulded phenol formaldehyde. The ViewMaster system was invented in the late 1930s as an improved 'stereoscope', superseding the ones that had been popular at the turn of the century, smaller, neater and in colour too. The ViewMaster's heydays were in the 1940s and 1950s when they became very popular. This example is in the bottom half of its original box and is complete with 15 image discs.
Designers & Manufacturers
Designer (Person)
Manufacturer

Inscriptions

"Sawyer's View-Master"
Dimensions
Width
90mm
Height
120mm
Depth
80mm
Colour