A rectangular shaped union case for holding early photographs. Ninth plate in size, the body of the case is made of compression moulded shellac (secretions of the lac beetle) with wood powder filler. It has an intricate, moulded geometric design on both sides. It was manufactured by A.P. Critchlow & Co, c. 1853-1857. It contains an eliptical foil mat on the right surrounding a daguerrotype, and a purple coloured, velvet lined cushion on the left, providing protection to the glass, two embedded brass hinges and an integrated spring clasp. Union cases were used to carry light-sensitive early photographs like ambrotypes or daguerreotypes to prevent them from fading and over 1000 different designs are known to exist.