A 59ml tube of emerald green colour Liquitex acrylic paint. The formula for the paint was developed by Henry Levison (1907-1988) in 1956, a colour chemist who had been milling and selling oil paints for his company Permanent Pigments in Ohio, US, since 1933. Acrylic paint was first patented in 1934 but was not made commercially available until the 1950s. Levison followed the technical advancement and experimented with new formulas, being one of the first to release a water-soluble artists' acrylic emulsion paint in 1955 called Liquitex. The following year he launched his Medium Viscosity Artist Color range, renamed Soft Body in 2005. Acrylic paint is made by suspending powdered (milled/ground) coloured pigment within a binder, a mixture of water and tiny spheres of acrylic polymer resin with additives such as emulsifiers, stabilisers and plasticisers to control the rate at which the paint dries, its flexibility and durability. The paint is sealed within an airtight glaminate tube, where polyethylene is laminated with aluminium in seven separate layers. Once compressed, the tube will not return to its original shape.