A black, compression moulded, GPO pyramid telephone 162 on a Bellset 25, dated 1932. The 162 was a collaborative design between the Research Section of the General Post Office and Siemens Brothers (Woolwich). First introduced in 1929, it was the UK's first telephone to incorporate both the transmitter and receiver into a single unit. It did not have an internal bell and so required either the Bellset 1 (cased in wood and used with the candelstick telephones that preceeded this model) or Bellset 25 (in a matching Bakelite material, introduced in 1932) to operate. This example has the Bellset 25 fixed to the base but it could be wall mounted nearby if preferred. The phone base is marked GPO S-32/234 No.162CB, suggesting the phone originally had no dial as it would have been used on a manual exchange where the operator would make the call connection. It was converted for use with a dial on an automatic exchange at a later date, possibly through GPO refurbishment. The No. 164 handset is marked GPO S-32/234 within an oval shaped recess and is attached via a brown 3 core plaited cloth cord.